Superintendent rescinds B-CC students’ punishment for drinking at prom

Six seniors walked at B-CC graduation June 1 who were formerly banned from doing so after being caught drinking at prom. The Interim Superintendent’s reversal of the B-CC principal’s decision to ban the seniors from graduation is stirring tensions and generating new discussion on underage drinking policies in the Whitman community.

Interim Superintendent Larry Bowers overruled the B-CC principal’s decision to ban students caught drinking at prom from walking at graduation. Photo courtesy MCPS.

Interim Superintendent Larry Bowers overruled the principal’s decision, citing that creating a blanket policy that bans all students caught drinking at prom from graduation goes against Board of Education rules and that students can only be excluded from ceremonies on a case-by-case basis.

Members of the Whitman community who spoke to The Black&White believe Bowers’ decision sends the message that punishments for substance abuse won’t be severe or permanent.

B-CC principal Donna Redmond Jones warned senior students and parents multiple times, at meetings and through e-mails, that intoxicated students at the May 6 prom would not be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony. Students attending prom signed an official prom sign-up form agreeing to the rule.

Whitman’s PTSA and principal Alan Goodwin agree with Jones’ policy to keep prom a drug-free environment.

“The Whitman PTSA supports Dr. Goodwin’s zero tolerance rule that prohibits a student from walking at graduation if a student is under the influence of an illegal drug while attending prom or post prom,” PTSA President Cathy Scherr said.

Bowers’s letter to families of seniors at B-CC said while he doesn’t condone underage drinking, students can only be excluded from ceremonies by the individual circumstances of a violation.

“The Board of Education policy is clear that the exclusion from commencement ceremonies may not be included in local school policies regarding disciplinary standards and procedures,” Bowers wrote in the letter. “However, principals retain the authority to exclude students from participation in commencement ceremonies for cause, on a case-by-case basis.”

Bowers also said his decision was based on the specific circumstances of the cases; after meeting with each of the students, he determined they had received appropriate consequences and should be allowed to receive their diploma at graduation. School officials would not specify the consequences.

Whitman students and staff have expressed concerns on how his decision will affect future students’ actions.

“I think it’s detrimental to rescind the punishment because if the students get away with it now, they will think they can get away with anything,” sophomore Isabella Lorence said. “The whole Bethesda mentality puts us in a bubble where at times, we feel invincible.”

English teacher Elon Walter felt that the decision undermined the principal’s authority and set back the campaign against underage drinking.

“His reasoning for the decision doesn’t add up to a logical conclusion,” Walter said. “It’s negating a bigger issue and undermining the authority of lots of different people involved.”

B-CC parents are still making efforts to reduce underage drinking; at the June 1 graduation ceremony, parents wore MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) pins to protest Bowers’ overruling.

The B-CC PTSA called for a meeting June 2 where they took a vote affirming their support of the principal and unanimously approved a petition to be submitted to Bowers and the Board of Education.

The petition questions why principals have been inconsistently permitted to exclude intoxicated students from commencement ceremonies, and requests for the policy to be clarified.

B-CC PTSA President Deb Ford is concerned that the administration will be powerless to dissuade the illegal use of drugs and alcohol at school sponsored events.

“Does a tragedy have to occur before our Superintendent and Board of Education will make this a priority to support our high school principals?” Ford said.

Despite the differing reactions to Bowers’ decision, Goodwin points out that the policy hasn’t changed: principals can still prevent a student from participating in a commencement ceremony, as long it is on a case-by-case basis.

“This situation shows that there’s still conflict and a lack of clarity about what the community can do to limit teenage underage drinking,” Goodwin said. “I’m hoping this episode becomes an impetus for greater discussion with those involved, so that we can talk about what measures can be taken to help keep kids safe when violations are made.”