Baseball hangs on to beat Blake 3–2

[score id=”50075″ align=”right”]
The baseball team (12–2) overcame an early deficit to triumph over the Blake Bengals 3–2 on Saturday.

The Vikes found themselves down 2–0 after the first inning, but kept confidence in their pitcher Tyler Hwang.

After giving up two runs in the first inning, pitcher Tyler Hwang pitches six consecutive scoreless innings against Blake. Photo by Annabelle Gordon.

The decision paid off, as Hwang pitched the entire game and didn’t allow the Bengals to score another run.

“We kept our energy up and never quit on our pitcher,” outfielder Danny Mills said. “Tyler Hwang was throwing great and we always pick each other up.”

After falling behind early, the Vikings gradually clawed their way back, and in the sixth inning, Noah Clement singled home Eric Wayman to give the squad a 3–2 lead.

The Vikes attributed their success to their ability to capitalize on opportunities and bring their base runner home.

“The key for us is to take advantage of our base runners,” Mills said. “When we get guys on base, we move them over and drive them in.”

The team’s next game is away against the Gaithersburg Trojans Tuesday at 5:15.