Boys tennis dominates B-CC 7–0

[score id=”49440″ align=”right”]
The boys tennis team (5–0) dominated the B-CC Barons with a 7–0 shutout Monday.

The Vikings and the Barons battled through harsh conditions, with wind speeds up to 20 mph, resulting in many false serves, ball adjustments and longer matches.

“The wind was awful and a lot of our players had to adjust to the weather,” third singles player Andrew Leung said. “Despite that factor, we were a stronger team today and fought really hard.”

Evin Mcdonald slams a backhand cross court against his B-CC opponent. McDonald won his matchup 6–0, 6–0. Photo courtesy Olivia Matthews.
Evin McDonald slams a backhand cross court against his B-CC opponent. McDonald won his matchup 6–3, 6–4. Photo courtesy Olivia Matthews.

First singles player Evin Mcdonald contributed greatly to the team’s success, using his years of tennis experience to outplay his opponent. His knowledge of the sport allowed him to maneuver the ball, knowing how to apply just enough spin or force on the ball to push through the strong elements.

“I tried using the wind to my advantage and play smarter than my opponent in the conditions,” Mcdonald said. “A lot of kids get frustrated playing in windy conditions so I tried to stay as relaxed as possible.”

Mcdonald’s composure proved to be beneficial as he secured a 6–3, 6–4 victory.

Multiple other players won in two set matches. Third doubles team Peter Hoogstraten and Jamie Miura won their match 6–0, 6–1, and second doubles team Ben Marks and Will Caudron won 7–5, 6–3.

The Vikes take on the Churchill Bulldogs Wednesday at 3:45 pm.