Gear Blog: Minimalist Shoes

**By Andrew Palmer**

Several runners, both beginner and elite, have been gravitating towards “minimalist” shoes.  These shoes are designed to mimic running barefoot, and have very little support and cushioning.  They are supposed to strengthen your primary foot muscles and prevent injuries, but unless used right can increase your risk for injury.   Runners are supposed to ease into these shoes, and begin using them for shorter

Photo Courtesy Runningwarehouse.com
The Nike Free was one of the first minimalist shoes to hit the market

runs and work their way into longer runs. 

Nike was one of the first companies to introduce this idea, with the Nike Free.  This shoe has a minimalist mesh upper an extremely flexible bottom.  The shoe is extremely neutral and provides extremely minimal support.  It retails for $85.00.

Reebok has also come out with a minimalist shoe recently, with the introduction of the Zig shoe.  It has a little more cushioning then the Free does, and rises up a little off the ground in the heel so it is not as minimal as the Free.  It has a mesh upper as well to cut out weight.   It Retails for $99.00.

The most minimalist of the shoes that have recently come out is the Vibrum 5 Finger shoe.  It fits the foot like a glove with certain places for each toe.  The shoe is designed for extremely efficient neutral runners, and is not suggested for most people.  For this shoe to be successful and not injure someone, a runner needs to ease into it.  It retails for $75.00.