The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits
The evolution of tipping culture
Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Foreign exchange and service trip opportunities skyrocket

Over the past few years, there has been an exponential jump in the number of foreign exchange programs and service trips offered. The staff and parents’ willingness to reach out to schools abroad has opened the door to numerous countries such as South Korea, South Africa and now Israel.

Social studies resource teacher Bob Mathis and special education teacher Laurie Safran have sponsored and been deeply involved with many exchange programs and service trips.

Safran has been crucial in planning trips to Uganda and Tanzania. She has also helped with the two-way exchange to South Korea for six years, and traveled there four times.

Mathis recently organized a two-way exchange program with South Africa, as well as a one-way trip to England. He arranged for students from Denmark and now Israel to come to Whitman.

Both said they’ve noticed a spike in opportunities offered since they first started. The drive to start more programs has mainly come from Dr. Goodwin.

“Dr. Goodwin is a strong supporter of making connections beyond the Bethesda bubble,” Mathis said.

When he first became principal, the only exchange program in place was one with Japan, Goodwin said. Many new programs found their inception at parent meetings, when he asked parents about any connections worth considering. As of this month, Whitman’s international relations portfolio will have grown from one country to eight.

Safran said she believes international outreach is expanding across the country, but it has been especially successful here.

One reason for the quick growth in these programs is that once a school becomes known for them, opportunities keep presenting themselves, Mathis said.

Senior Amye Elfin traveled to Cape Town, South Africa, for two months, attending a girls’ school there. Elfin made friends with South African students while they were on exchange here, who then convinced her to go, she said.

Elfin said it was amazing to be immersed in the rich culture and history of Cape Town.

“Attempting to learn some of their 11 official languages was a lot of fun as well,” she said.

Jean Naudé is a South African student on exchange here for a month. He now has his own school schedule and is attending Whitman like a normal student.

Naudé’s school is looking to expand its international programs too, he said. His school offers two trips to the States, as well as one to Great Britain and is adding one to Kenya.

Naudé and Elfin’s trips are an example of the kind of experiences Mathis wants students to have.

“I like it when there is a component of schooling, as well as a component of service and home stays,” he said. “So, it’s cultural as well as academic.”

Many students are leaders in various fields, said Goodwin.

“They need to have a global understanding and appreciation for other cultures.”