Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Georgetown Cupcake, focus of the new reality series “Cupcake Sisters”

The popular Georgetown Cupcake will be the center of a new reality TV series on TLC. Photo by Hailey Siller.

Rather than walking to Bethesda for a Georgetown Cupcake, you’ll soon be able to observe the secret behind the store’s huge success from the comforts of your living room.

Georgetown Cupcake owners Sophia LaMontague and Katherine Kallinis will star in their own reality TV series premiering on TLC in July. The show, “Cupcake Sisters,” focuses on the day-to-day activities of the cupcake bakery.

“Cupcake Sisters” joins other TLC food shows such as “Cake Boss,” “Ultimate Cake Off,” “Little Chocolatiers” and “Craving Comfort,” a new show which explores America’s comfort foods.

“Cupcake Sisters will go beyond the frosting to uncover the secret of Sophie and Katherine’s success and follow the challenges they face as the business rapidly expands and is poised to explode on the national scene,” a TLC press release said.

Manager Jessie Conradi and LaMontague declined to comment when asked about the details of the show, citing the terms of their confidentiality agreement.

Georgetown Cupcake employee Molly Schwartz (‘08) says that the filming process is exciting, and that the crew is really trying to get to know the employees.

“Hopefully, the show will portray how fun it is to be at Georgetown Cupcake and how much we really care about what we do,” she says.

The crew began filming on Valentine’s Day weekend, which was also the business’ two-year anniversary. They will continue to film throughout April.

Georgetown Cupcake opened in 2008 as D.C.’s first and only cupcakery and now employs over 60 people and bakes 3,000 to 5,000 cupcakes a day, according to TLC.

“I am interested to see the behind-the-scenes of a cupcake factory, and see exactly what goes into the cupcakes that I enjoy so much,” junior Jenny Farivari says.