A comprehensive holiday gift guide for the procrastinators

Happy Christmahanakwanzaka! Tired of getting your mom a candle for the seventh year in a row? For all of you out there who are struggling with what to get your parents, your siblings and your friends for the holidays, we’re here to help.

For your parents: 
Get a nicely framed photograph for the parents who can never take enough pictures. You can go big or go small on this gift, but make sure it’s a good quality photograph of you and your family. You can print out a picture at Ritz Camera and get a frame there. But if you have the time, go to a Plaza and let them help you pick out a nice frame and mat board.

If you have a bigger budget, a gift card to your parent’s favorite restaurant is a perfect and thoughtful gift.

Sister: Jewelry and knickknacks are always a good way to go. A cute pair of earrings from Lulu or Francesca’s in Bethesda is simple, and typically under twenty dollars. Another (relatively) cheap way to go would be a headband or other accessory from lululemon in Bethesda.

Brothers: If your brother is a sports fan, you’re in luck. Practically any item from his favorite team will do: jerseys, t-shirts, hats and posters are perfect. You might find that around the holidays little kiosks around the mall start to pop up with sports-related goodies. These are simple and easy, but you can also visit Modell’s for a larger variety. When in doubt, use the Internet. You’ll have a huge selection on eBay or Amazon, but remember to put in your orders sooner rather than later.

If your bro isn’t much of a sports guy, video games are a safe bet. Some suggestions: Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Madden 2013 or FIFA 2013. The best part is that after he opens his new game, he’ll be glued to the TV for hours and won’t be bugging you.

Friends: These are often the hardest gifts to buy. It’s difficult to determine how much to spend on a friend, and which friends to buy gifts for. If you are on a tight budget, “the thought that counts” really applies. Gift baskets with baked goods are a perfect (and cheap) way to show your friends you care about them. If you’re not a great cook, you can make a mix CD for your friend’s car and write a nice letter.

If you’re in the mood to spend some cash on your closest friends, here are some suggestions. If they have a smart phone, get them a pair of touchscreen gloves so they can keep their fingers warm and text all at once. You can also check out the upcoming concerts at some local venues like the 930 club in DC or the Fillmore in Silver Spring. Surprise your friend with concert tickets to their favorite band or artist.