LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Students demonstrate musical skills at Classical Me

Senior Gabe Slesinger plays Photo by Justine Wood.

Classical music echoed through St. Dunstan’s Episcopal Church during Classical Me Feb. 7.

This is the fourth year of Classical Me, which gives student musicians the unique opportunity to perform classical music individually.

Senior Gabe Slesinger, who was in charge of running this year’s recital, has participated in Classical Me since he was a freshman. Slesinger, who wowed the audience with his trumpet skills on “Intrada” by Otto Ketting, emphasized the value of the concert.

“A lot of people don’t realize that their friends are involved in classical music because it’s not a big spectator event,” he said. “It’s a good venue to have your friends and family watch you.”

The evening began with a variety of musicians, including senior Claire Graebner and junior Stephanie Shao on flute, junior Gigi Silver on violin, sophomore Matt Digan on trombone and sophomore Niels Verhoeven on cello.

Seniors Lizzie Bartlett, who sang Mozart’s “Voi Che Sapete,” and Ani Carlson, who sang Mozart’s “Deh vieni, non tardar,” demonstrated their strong classical vocal abilities, while senior Grace Laboy nailed every note in her rendition of “Steal Me, Sweet Thief.”

Sophomore Conrad Mascarenhas also delivered a passionate performance on the piano with “Etude Op. 8 No. 12” by Alexander Scriabin.

The evening continued with the same level of musical skill and dedication. Performers included sophomore Sam Shapiro on bass, sophomore Beatriz Atsavapranee on violin, and junior Emma Keteltas and senior Lydia Carroll on voice.

For senior Simone Levine, who sang “Far From the Home I Love,” singing alone was a stretch from her comfort zone.

“It was nerve-racking because this is my first time performing by myself in front of people, other than my voice teacher and my shower head, but it was fun,” she said.

The recital ended with Abby Lederman’s piano skills as she played “Toccata” by Aram Khatchaturian.

Mascarenhas said he feels that Classical Me serves as a good chance for musicians to gain recognition.

“I think at Whitman there’s a lot of talent that, if we didn’t have Classical Me, wouldn’t get expressed” he said. “There are a lot of people, especially pianists, that don’t really fit into the music program at Whitman because there aren’t spots for them, so if you have Classical Me, then you have a way for those people to show off their skills.”