Florence + the Machine’s new album repetitive and forgettable

Florence + the Machine released its sophomore album “Ceremonials” Oct. 31. This repetitive and easily forgettable album is filled with loud gusting vocals that fall flat.

Florence + the Machine released its sophomore album, "Ceremonials," Oct. 31. While Florence Welch's powerful voice on the ablum soars, the album's instrumentation and styling become repetitive. Photo courtesy www.songonlyrics.com.

The group’s premiere album, “Lungs,” burst onto the pop charts July 2009 with a new style of girl rock. Songs from the album made it into many movie and television show soundtracks, like “Eat Pray Love,” “Jennifer’s Body” and Gossip Girl.” The new album’s breakout song, “Shake It Out,” will likely end up as overplayed as the group’s previous hit “Dog Days Are Over.” Regardless, the song’s fast beat and uplifting lyrics like “It’s hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off” will turn it into an instant top 40 hit.

Bells, banging drums and clanging keyboards overpower most of the album. Most songs overuse the instruments over Welch’s high-powered vocals, drowning out the lyrics with wild noise.

The best tracks from the album are “What The Water Gave Me,” “All This And Heaven Too” and “Only If For A Night.” Aside from these, the tracks begin to sound like repetitive album filler.

The album proves that Welch can sing anything but that doesn’t mean she should. Florence Welch’s powerful voice booms over backup vocals, giving the album a mystical choir-like feel. But after a few tracks this sound becomes tiredsome. Her voice couldn’t save this album.