Need a Halloween costume? DIY

It used to be so easy to trick-or-treat. Throwing on a monster mask or a Disney princess dress was enough to charm even the most curmudgeonly neighbor. But by a certain age, the pumpkin outfit goes from cute to creepy.

The solution? Look past the cheesy Halloween stores and use your creativity to build the perfect do-it-yourself costume.

Modern Princess

Couldn’t snag an invite to the royal wedding? Swap Disney princesses for real ones and dress up as Kate Middleton. All you need is a white dress, brown hair (or a brown wig), a tiara and a British accent, and you’re ready for the royal treatment. And if you happen to be in a relationship at the moment, convincing your beau to be Prince William isn’t such a bad idea.

The Humorist

Moms and dads are notorious for cheesy costumes. But as they say, if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. Dress as your mom or dad by throwing on a pair of mom/dad jeans (you know, the unflattering, high-waisted ones) and an old school Halloween-themed sweater (check the very back of your parents’ closet — the more ‘80s, the better). If you want to add an extra accessory, try large, horn-rimmed glasses for a nerdy-sophisticated touch. When your friends ask what you are, you can respond with “yo momma!”

The Pop Fanatic

Get your superbass pumpin’ and dress up as Nicki Minaj. All you need is a pink wig (or black or green or polka dotted — Nicki has done them all) and anything neon. For a finishing touch, tack on some rainbow pom-poms from the craft store.

The Procrastinator

This DIY costume idea is designed for the ultimate slacker. If you’ve got 20 minutes before you go trick-or-treating and you still need a costume, go as a nudist on strike. All you need is a picket sign with a clever slogan and…clothes!