Pyle student raises money for laptops at NIH Children’s Inn

Pyle eighth grader Hayley Segall’s Bat Mitzvah project was anything but orthodox.

Instead of asking friends and family for money, Segall sent letters to local stores, businesses and restaurants asking for donations. The money she earned went to the Children’s Inn at the National Institutes of Health to purchase new laptops.

Pyle eighth-grader Hayley Segall presents the NIH Children's Inn information systems director Rick Saunders with a check Sept. 8. Segall hopes to raise enough money to donate 12 laptops to give sick children more opportunities to communicate with their families. Photo courtesy Hayley Segall.

Segall heard that the Inn had only two laptops for 59 families to use to communicate with others, and she was inspired to increase that number through her laptop project, she said.

“I have always loved community service, and when I learned about the Children’s Inn at NIH, I felt obligated to help,” Segall said. “I wanted to do something where there was a lot of need and that other people had not thought about. The Children’s Inn was the perfect place to do this project because these are regular kids and teens just like me, and it seems unfair that their life could be taken away from them.”

Segall’s family supported her drive and dedication throughout her project. Her mom has helped her locate donors, find addresses and fold and seal letters, emphasizing the importance of family bonds. Segall wanted to make sure other kids could contact their families as well.

“Communication is important because communication is a lifeline,” Segall said. “It helps these kids and parents stay positive and remember what they are fighting for. People always say that the most important things in life are family and friends, and I don’t want distance to take that lifeline away from these people because I know that, if it were me, I would need that lifeline now more than any time in my whole life.”

So far, Segall has raised a total of $3,300, which is enough to buy four new laptops with webcams and three-year warranties.

“My goal is to raise enough money for the Inn to have a total of 10 or 12 new laptops,” Segall said. “I am proud that we’ve gotten this far.”