NFL institutes unfair fining techniques

Over the past few years, the NFL has enforced more and more outrageous fines on players and coaches.  The fines are unfair and show the skewed priorities of the NFL.

Although the NFL issues fines to coaches and players quite often, sometimes for identical offenses, there are no set fines for specific penalties. Thus, a player could be fined $20,000 or $5,000 for the exact same offense because the commissioner fines players and coaches at his own discretion.

Since there are no set penalties for each individual offense, fines are often unfair and do not always appropriately reflect the severity or insignificance of the players’ actions.

For example, Commissioner Roger Goodell fined Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis $20,000 after wearing the wrong colored cleats and socks during a game against the Philadelphia Eagles.  Goodell fined Pittsburg Steelers safety Ryan Clark $5,000 after using eye black with the number 21 etched into it, a tribute to the late Sean Taylor.

While Goodell fined these absurd amounts for mere uniform violations, players and coaches were fined considerably less for offensive celebrations and fighting during games.

Viking wide receiver Randy Moss was fined $10,000 in 2004 for this touchdown celebration. Photo courtesy of sportsillustrated.com

One of the most memorable touchdown celebrations was the infamous “moon” by Randy Moss.  After scoring a touchdown against the Green Bay Packers in 2004, Moss pretended to pull down his pants and “moon” the Packers fans.  This seems like an incredibly inappropriate and offensive act, but Moss was fined only $10,000, half of what the commissioner fined Portis for a mere uniform violation.

The most recent evidence of the inconsistency was the fine that Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith received after a game against the Redskins.  During the game, Redskins player LaRon Landry made a late hit on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan near the Falcons’ sideline.  Smith began punching the Redskins players to keep them away from Ryan.  Even though the coaches are supposed to be the ultimate symbol of discipline in the NFL, Smith received a fine $5,000 less than Clinton Portis received for his uniform violation.

For fines in the NFL to be enforced, there has to be a predetermined and uniform fine for each offense.  Certain types of violations need to be considered as harsher than others. There should be a four degree system of violations. The first degree of violations should pertain to players’ and coaches’ appearance and violations of the NFL dress code, these fines would range from $2,500 to $5,000.

The final three violations should deal with players’ and coaches’ actions.  The second degree of violation would address inappropriate celebrations.  Although these celebrations do not physically damage the game, they may offend fans as well as other players.  A fine for such a violation would range from $10,000 to $20,000.

The last two degrees would concern violent actions made by players.  Violence could endanger players and greatly damage the NFL’s reputation.  The third violation would deal with violence that occurs between two or more players.  These offenses would warrant a fine of $25,000 to $50,000.  But the most unacceptable violation would be any violent action between a player and a fan. This fine, due to its extreme severity, would range from $50,000 to $100,000 and could also include a one-week suspension.

The NFL does not currently establish any uniform system for violations by players and coaches.  If the NFL wants to fine players and coaches, they should first set up consistent consequences for negative actions.  Once these consequences are established, players and coaches would be more reluctant to violate the rules.