Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Eidolon, lit mag, offers student writing and photos

Eidolon, the school’s award-winning yearly literary magazine, was released May 25 and 26 at Festival of the Arts.

The annual magazine, led by senior Ross Slaughter, contains everything from haikus to photography.

English teacher Susan Buckingham, the Eidolon adviser, holds up the front and back covers of this year's edition of the student-run literary magazine. Photo by Carolyn Freeman.

“This edition is good,” Slaughter said. “I thoroughly enjoyed reading the different literary submissions.”

The edition differs from those of past years because of its increased emphasis on photography as a medium, said English teacher Susan Buckingham, who advises the magazine.

The magazine has won awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association and the American Scholastic Press Association for photography as well as the quality of the magazine.

“We have won state and/or national awards every year that I’ve been the sponsor and probably long before that,” said English teacher Susan Buckingham, who advises the magazine.

Anyone can contribute to Eidolon, but the staff decides what actually makes it into the magazine. Though the majority of the pieces submitted are very good, many have to be cut due to space constraints.

Members of the publication work to ensure that the magazine maintains its high standard of quality.

“We look for the best poetry, writing and artwork that we can find,” junior staffer Ali Rohde said. “We put in anything that sounds meaningful.”

The submissions process, as well as the high quality of writing that is submitted to the article, makes for a fascinating and high-quality literary magazine.

“The magazine looks excellent this year,” Rohde said.