Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Parent Douglas Wood, top D.C. lawyer, to defend Lululemon case

Parent Douglas Wood walks into court and takes the stand, ready to speak on behalf of his client. After months of extensive research and examination of evidence, he is about to defend a man accused of theft.

Parent Douglas Wood will defend Brittany Norwood, the woman accused of murdering her Lululemon coworker, Oct. 24. Wood is one of the top criminal defense lawyers in the area. Photo courtesy Douglas Wood.
Wood is one of the top criminal defense lawyers in the D.C. metropolitan area. Since entering the private practice sector in 1985, Wood has defended over 75 people accused of homicide. Of those cases, he has won about 50.

In his latest case he will defend Brittany Norwood, the 20-year-old woman accused of murdering her Lululemon coworker March 11. The trial is set for Oct. 24.

“The Brittany Norwood case is very high profile,” Wood said. “It’s challenging, but this is a profession where you want to be challenged.”

For the most part, Wood finds that the people he defends are good people. Although they have made mistakes, they tend to live an average life.

“One of the great things about [this job] is that you meet people who have done very serious things and have committed such serious crimes, but they’re pretty decent people,” Wood said. “And there’s a side of them that’s caused them, for a very brief moment, to have committed a crime, but for the rest of their lives, they’re pretty normal.”

Only a small portion of the people he defends have severe personality disorders that cause them to act out in violent ways, Wood said.

“Almost everybody has a different problem,” he said. “It’s hard to say there’s a profile of someone who commits a crime.”

Wood uses tactics in court to convince the jury that his client is innocent. He approaches each case with a critical eye to make sure his client isn't wrongfully convicted. Graphic courtesy Douglas Wood.
Wood’s tactics in court give him the edge he needs for him to be successful. When defending those accused of serious crimes, Wood finds that in order to come across as sincere to the jury, he must approach the case with skepticism. Because everyone is innocent until proven guilty, it’s necessary to question the allegation in its entirety, he said.

As a defense lawyer, Wood works to ensure that his clients aren’t wrongfully convicted. With his aggressive tactics and expert knowledge of the evidence in each case, he helps his clients through the grueling court process.

“Maybe the prosecution has some evidence of the guilt, but they have to really prove it,” Wood said. “You read about it every day in papers where the person goes to jail for a rape case or a murder case and then you find out that it wasn’t actually them.”