“Born This Way” album falls short of Lady Gaga’s best work

Despite promising singles like “Born This Way” and “Judas,” Lady Gaga’s latest album, “Born This Way,” ultimately stops short of being her finest work. Instead, the techno-heavy album seems best suited for dance clubs — not iPods.  

Lady Gaga released her new album, "Born This Way," this week. Although the songs are fun to dance to, they're not her best work. Photo courtesy www.dailystab.com.

Though dance music is where Gaga shines, many of the songs on “Born This Way” lack the depth and catchiness of previous hits like “Telephone” and “Bad Romance.” Instead, they sound like Gaga-fied versions of Cascada songs.

As a whole, the album feels slightly experimental for Gaga, who tries out new sounds reminiscent of country-rock, like in the song “You and I,” as well as ‘80s pop-rock sounds in “Highway Unicorn (Road To Love).” At least she has given her fans something new, even if the pounding techno beats eventually grow tedious.

The standouts of the album include the singles “Born This Way,” “Judas,” and “Edge of Glory,” as well as the powerful “Marry the Night” and “Bloody Mary.”

“Marry the Night,” which starts out with a dramatic intro, turns into a fun dance song, which, with its repetitive chorus, will be perfect to sing along to this summer.

“Bloody Mary” is an entertaining listen with its darkened version of an ’80s pop sound. It’s also worth listening to for its dramatic lyrics, like “I’ll dance with my hands above my head like Jesus said.” Though a little slower, the song is certainly a danceable one.

A strange surprise is “You and I,” which has a country-rock feel to it. With a laid-back beat, this song is enjoyable and catchy, but fans might be caught off-guard by it. With a believable country drawl, Gaga sings, “You taste like whiskey when you kiss me all, I’d give anything again to be your baby doll.”

The biggest disappointments on the album are “Hair” and “Bad Kids.” With cheesy lyrics like, “This is my prayer, I swear, I’m as free as my hair,” these songs get pretty old pretty fast.

The strongest songs are certainly the singles, which will likely be the majority of Gaga tunes played this summer on the radio. Still, most of the other songs on “Born This Way” will make fun, dance floor hits and certainly don’t harm Gaga’s stellar reputation.