Softball falls to Walter Johnson 7–4 in regional finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in regional finals

U.S. Open returns to Congressional Country Club

*written by Nick Bode*

Congressional Country Club will be teaming up with the United States Golf Association this summer to host the U.S. Open Championship for the third time.

Ernie Els holds up his championship cup after winning the U.S. Open in 1997 at Congressional Country Club. The event is returning to Congressional this summer for the first time in 14 years. Photo courtesy of About.com.

Located off of River Road, Congressional is one of the most prestigious and historic country clubs in the nation. The club last hosted the U.S. Open in 1997, when South African Ernie Els won the tournament for the second time in his career. Since then, the club has held many of the country’s largest golf tournaments, including the past three AT&T Nationals.

John Lyberger, PGA Director of Golf at Congressional, said he’s expecting this year’s event to be the largest golf tournament ever held at the club.

“It’s twice as large as [the 1997 U.S. Open],” Lyberger said. “Everything has grown exponentially: infrastructure, entertainment and hospitality.”

Lyberger also notes that this year’s tournament is drastically different from the recently hosted AT&T Nationals. Not only is it an international event, it also allows amateurs to compete with the pros.

The U.S. Open was first held in 1895 at Rhode Island’s Newport Golf and Country Club. The tournament was dominated by British golfers until 1911, when American John J. McDermott defeated a field of over 50 golfers for the championship.

The course, one of the toughest courses in the world, has tripped up countless professional golfers. Sophomore golfer Sam Pastoriza has experienced the course first hand, playing at the club several times.

“Congressional is a much more difficult course than others because the greens are very fast,” Pastoriza said. “That produces many three putts from tour players.”

Despite the difficulty of the course, Pastoriza enjoys playing at such a highly esteemed club.

“Playing on a course that Tiger Woods has [played on] is really cool because of the feeling of prestige that surrounds the course,” he said.

The United States Golf Association and Congressional encourages all golf fans to come out for the event, and tickets range from $110 to $375 per day. Despite the high prices, tickets are selling quickly, and the tournament will likely sell out for the 25th consecutive time.

In last year’s tournament, Graeme McDowell narrowly won at Pebble Beach in California. Lyberger hopes for Congressional to hold another exciting U.S. Open.

“We’re hoping for a great championship, great weather, and a great event for the spectators,” he said.

To check out the official site of the event, click here