Student-run Haiti benefit raises thousands for orphanage

The high notes of French musicians mingled with the beats of the Whitman Jazz Band and Chamber Choir at the fundraiser for the Organisation des Enfants pour l’Avenir orphanage in Haiti May 15.

The Whitman Jazz Band performs May 15 at the French Embassy to raise money for an orphanage in Haiti. The benefit also featured a performance by the Whitman Chamber Choir, silent auction and raffle. Photo by Carolyn Freeman.

The event at the French Embassy featured a concert with student musicians, a silent auction and a raffle. Donors raised almost $4,000 for the Haitian orphanage through ticket sales alone. Director Francois Charpentier, who is now at Lycee Rochambeau after graduating from Whitman last year, hoped to raise $6,000 by the evening’s end.

“I wanted to organize something on a larger scale than just bake sales,” Charpentier said. “I’m going to try to continue with fundraising efforts.”

The high point of the evening was Lycee Rochambeau student Isabel Nogues on the violin. She played a selection of both French and American music.

In addition to her classical violin playing, Nogues also performed with the Lycee Rochambeau jazz band. The band, which consists of a guitar, a bass, drums and Nogues on the electric violin, performed classical jazz hits such as “Satin Doll” and “Ain’t Misbehavin.’”

The music continued with the Whitman Jazz Band, which played a selection of modern tunes such as the fast “I Mean You” and the slower “Nothing Good Happens Fast.” Soloists, including Adam Polis on the flugelhorn and Max Light on guitar, shined during the performance.

After the concert, guests could participate in the silent auction and raffle, part of the efforts to raise more money for the orphanage in Haiti.

The student-run benefit successfully raised thousands of dollars for children in Haiti, said senior Caitlyn Guh, who was the Whitman student sponsor for the benefit.

“The event was a success,” she said. “Especially considering that it was basically student organized.”