LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Khalifa’s ‘Rolling Papers,’ and I’m rolling out

After six years of moderately successful mixtapes, Wiz Khalifa finally had his shot at mainstream success when Atlantic Records signed the young rapper to their label last year. But Khalifa’s major label debut, “Rolling Papers,” doesn’t live up to all its hype, because of boring, repetitive and unoriginal beats with half-sung raps which are nothing new.

Photo courtesy zmemusic.com.

“Rolling Papers” strays from his ‘70s-soul inspired samples, becoming more pop-based, mainstream sound.  The album’s songs are mostly bland, mid-tempo and repetitive, making it hard to find anything  interesting.

Khalifa’s lyrics are also incredibly predictable: almost every song focuses on getting money, smoking marijuana or partying. Songs like “No Sleep” and “On My level” clearly illustrate the sad fact that the 23-year-old has nothing else to rap about.

The albums production is overdone and uninteresting, even though Khalifa recruited superstar producers like Jim Jones and Big Jerm.   But not even the world’s best producers can get Khalifa’s music to seem appealing.

Overall, Khalifa’s major label debut is a sad, failed attempt to make a corny, uninspired rapper seem interesting and new.