Softball falls to Walter Johnson 7–4 in regional finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in regional finals

Girls lacrosse loses to powerhouse Churchill

The girls lacrosse team lost to the undefeated Churchill Bulldogs, 22-7 on April 2, lowering its record to 1-2.

The Bulldogs dominated possession early on and took a 10-0 lead within the first fifteen minutes of the game. Midfielder Clara Schneider then put the Vikes on the board with an unassisted goal. Churchill soon scored another goal, but midfielder Claire Block scored a goal of her own to put the Vikes within eight with seven minutes left in the half.

The Bulldogs started the game with a 10-0 run and never looked back. Photo by Harvey Levine.

The Bulldogs scored yet again, but the Lady Vikes put up three consecutive goals of their own while keeping the Bulldogs off the scoreboard. Attacker Hailey Siller added a goal for the vikes, and Block found the back of the net one more time to cut the Bulldog lead to eight. Great defensive efforts by goalie Hannah Nowack gave way for another Viking goal by Block, bringing the score to 12-5.

Churchill came out in the second half as strong as they did in the first, scoring three goals within the first six minutes. Attacker Sarah Backenstoe gave the Vikes their first goal of the half, putting them within nine.

The Bulldogs got two more goals, but Block’s free shot on the goal kept the Vikes within ten points. However, in the end Churchill proved too much for the Lady VIkes to handle and ended the game with five more goals.

The team will travel to Germantown and look to get back on track against the Northwest Jaguars on April 7.