LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

Eliminating Government HSA sends the wrong message to students

Starting next year, students most likely will no longer be required to take the Government High School Assessment, a state-wide test intended to measure students’ understanding of civics. At Whitman, 330 students currently take AP NSL and currently only have to take the HSA if they score a two or below on the AP test.The HSA will be eliminated because No Child Left Behind doesn’t require data from a test on government, said the supervisor for the MCPS social studies program.

But the HSA shouldn’t be discontinued because civic education is a vital component of school, and with the elimination of the test, the state isn’t making the subject a priority. It’s important for students to know about the framework and process of today’s government and the class is basic for those who want to study government in college. This decision sends a message that social studies is less important than biology, English or algebra, the other HSAs students are still required to pass in order to graduate.

Social studies teacher Robert Mathis said the HSA was eliminated for budgetary reasons: printing and distribution of the HSA costs $1.9 million each year. However, this decision comes after years of state emphasis on the importance of student knowledge about all levels of the U.S. Government. Maryland needs to avoid falling deeper into its $12 billion deficit, but eliminating this test is not the way to do so.

The decision wouldn’t have as big of an effect at Whitman because of the school’s high pass rate on the AP exam. However, the changes could likely impact students throughout the state because other schools’ AP participation rates aren’t as high. Most schools devote class time to prepare for the HSA, a review that can help reinforce the curriculum’s concepts for students.

Despite its cost, the NSL HSA shouldn’t be eliminated solely because federal rules don’t require it. The test covers vital material and the elimination of the tests sends the wrong message to students.