LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Boys basketball falls to Springbrook in playoffs

The boys basketball team ended its season with a 64-50 loss to three time defending state champions and top-seeded Springbrook Blue Devils in the regional quarterfinals on Feb. 28.

The Vikings struggled offensively to start the game, turning the ball over three times before getting a shot on basket.  However, the Vikings’ strong defense kept the score close and allowed small forward Daniel Voigt and guard James Dionne to hit back-to-back 3-pointers to give the Vikings a 6-2 lead just 2 minutes into the game.

The Blue Devils hit back-to-back 3-pointers of their own to reclaim the lead for good.  The Vikings would keep the score close, but the Blue Devils rarely missed from behind the arc and took a 20-13 lead heading into the second quarter.

The Vikings held the gap at 7 points, but midway through the quarter struggled to make their shots.  The Blue Devils went on an 8-0 run to open up a 15-point lead.  Guard Bryan Joel tallied a free-throw before halftime to make the deficit 31-17 heading into the locker room.

The Vikings were able to keep pace with the Blue Devils for the majority of the third quarter, but continued to struggle passing the ball.  The Vikings committed 6 turnovers in the quarter and entered the final quarter of play trailing by 18 points.

Center Ian Ross started the fourth quarter off with a put-back lay-up to make the score 48-32.  Despite giving up 5 straight points to the Blue Devils, the Vikings showed signs of life midway through the quarter.

Dionne and Voigt hit another pair of back-to-back 3-pointers to close the game within 11 points.  However, the Blue Devils made their free-throws down the stretch to seal the victory.

“We played great half court defense all night,” coach Chris Lun said.  “Our box and one really seemed to keep them a bit off balance. Jake did a great job making Enerio Jones work for his shots. We had some bad turnovers that lead to easy transition buckets, which, ended up costing us.”

Ross led the team in scoring with 12 points, while Dionne and Joel added 11 points each.  Voigt had 10 points, 6 of which came from 3-pointers.

Although the Vikings were able to contain guard Enerio Jones to 15 points, when he tallied 26 against the boys in their first meeting on Feb. 15, guard P.J Purnell had 19 points and center Jarid Watson had a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.

“#25 [P.J. Purnell] shot the ball real well in the first half. They are also very fast in transition,” Lun said.  “We felt if we could limit their transition points, we could stay in the game. We did a decent job, but not good enough.”

The Vikings lose six seniors, including four of the five starters from tonight’s match-up.

“Our seniors were a great group. They never gave up. I really appreciate their work ethic and their dedication to Whitman hoops. A lot of guys will need to step up next year. We have some pieces in place for next year. How hard we work in the off-season will determine how good we can be next year.”