The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits
The evolution of tipping culture
Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1

Stopping DOMA enforcement signals changing tone towards gay marriage

President Obama decided Feb. 23 that the Justice Department would no longer defend the Defense of Marriage Act, a federal ban on same-sex marriage. His belief that the act is unconstitutional correctly led him to make this decision.Because Obama doesn’t have the power to repeal the law, deciding not to defend it was a logical way to demonstrate the growing acceptance of same-sex marriages, moving the country in the right direction.

Recently there’s been an increase in support for same-sex marriage among American citizens. As of 2010, 42 percent of Americans support same-sex marriage, a 12 percent increase from 2004, according to a study by Pew Research Center. Additionally, the Maryland Senate passed a same-sex marriage law Feb. 24.

It seems impractical to do anything other than move forward in the direction of same-sex marriage legalization. Holding onto tradition does nothing but hinder inevitable progress.

The U.S. is based on equal opportunity, yet DOMA denies people of certain sexual orientations the right to marriage as well as other rights like employment, medical and housing benefits. Denying a group of citizens these rights doesn’t uphold American values.

By refusing to defend DOMA in federal courts, Obama took a substantial step towards a national legalization of same-sex marriage. Next, Congress should repeal DOMA for good.