LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Boys basketball falls to 9th ranked Springbrook

The boys basketball team lost 78-52 to the 9th ranked Springbrook Blue Devils on Feb. 15, dropping its record to 9-11 on the year.

The Vikings were able to keep pace with the highly ranked Blue Devils early on in the game. Guard James Dionne made a 2-point shot to pull the Vikings within 3 points midway through the first quarter.

However, the Blue Devils closed the quarter on a 9-2 run and entered the second quarter up 19-12.

Although the Vikings gave up a quick 2-point shot to the Blue Devils, small forward Daniel Voigt hit a 3-pointer on the first Viking possession to set the score at 21-15 and pull the team within 6 points.

However, the Vikings struggled to move the ball and made numerous careless passes. The Blue Devils capitalized on the poor Viking ball movement as they closed the second quarter on a 20-5 stretch.

Blue Devils guard Enerio Jones, who was averaging 17.6 points a game, had 18 points at halftime and ended the game with 26. The Vikings entered the locker room down 41-20.

Although guard Jake Harrison started the second half with a 2-point shot on the first offensive possession, the boys still struggled with passing and moving the basketball.

Forward Andrew Castagnetti hit a 2-pointer within the last minute of the third quarter to set the deficit at 30 points entering the final quarter of play.

Castagnetti hit one of his two 3-pointers on the night to start off the fourth quarter. The two teams began to trade shots back and forth midway through the quarter, with the margin holding steady at 25 points.

The Blue Devils played lockdown defense and forced many turnovers, and out-shot the Vikings from beyond the arc 11-3. The Vikings scored the final 5 points of the game, including a put-back shot by forward Nate Cannon with under 20 seconds remaining in the fourth.

Castagnetti led the team in scoring with 12 points, while center Ian Ross added 9 and Voigt and Joel each had 8.

The boys look to rebound against the 15th ranked Marguder Colonels at home on Feb. 18. The Colonels were ranked as high as 7th until they lost the Blue Devils on Jan. 24.