Softball falls to Walter Johnson 7–4 in regional finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 in state quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in regional finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend

Boy Scouts show true leadership in helping others

River Falls Boy Scout Troop builds a sled at a survival skills and teamwork competition called Klondike, which is held every winter. Photo courtesy of Adoni Anagnostopolous.

For many students, rebuilding trails, coordinating blood drives or volunteering at a hospital would sound like just another community service requirement. But to a select group of dedicated boy scouts, it’s a way of life.

To many scouts, the pinnacle of their hard work is the coveted Eagle Scout award.  This title is awarded to members of the Boy Scouts of America after they complete a project reflecting both their leadership and dedication to community service.

For their Eagle projects, Whitman scouts have planned and led various ventures: Senior Kettner Griswold Jr. laid a pathway for Calleva in Poolseville, junior Keegan Barber held a clothing drive, Doug Acker (09’) arranged both a blood drive and collected gifts for troops in Afghanistan, sophomore Thomas Colton repaired a trail in Arizona and junior Adoni Anagnostopolous is currently lending a hand to veterans at a Virginia hospital.

Senior Kettner Griswold, who attained Eagle rank freshman year, says the award is like the Ph.D of the boyscout world.

“Its an ooh-ahh kind of thing,” he says, “You get a lot of respect from peers; its like a member of the military who has received a medal of honor from the war.”

Anagnostopolous, who’s been a scout since sixth grade, is currently working on his project at the Veterans Memorial Hospital, collecting funds to purchase plants and hire planters to improve the hospital’s atmosphere, he says.

“I’m also hoping to make a memorial wall so veterans can remember their fellows,” he says.

However, he’ll have to put in over 100 hours before seeing the impact of his efforts.

Senior Victor Wang, who has spent a whopping 500 hours over the past few years, is finally putting the finishing touches on his project.  He worked in a demolition zone with Ourhouse, an organization that helps troubled youth rebuild their lives as an alternative to jail.

For Wang, community service work has extended beyond his boy scout or graduation requirements.  Having accumulated about 300 SSL hours independent of scouting, he says that he enjoys helping people whenever he gets a chance.

“There’s a point when you realize, huh, I like doing this stuff,” he says. “Why not become an Eagle?”

After getting six recommendations from teachers, parents, mentors and scout masters–and finishing up his paperwork–he will finally be able to apply to become an Eagle Scout.

Griswold’s father, Kettner Sr., serves as the Eagle Project advisor for the River Falls Troop, which includes many of the local boy scouts. He says that the true value in completing the Eagle Scout project lies in overcoming its challenges, which help strengthen character and reinforce elements of leadership.

“The project really proves their mettle,” he says. “It puts them head and shoulders above everyone else in their peer group.”

Because of the endurance and focus required to balance an Eagle project with the overwhelming duties of high school and the pressures of everyday life, most scouts don’t reach this rank.  According to the Boy Scouts of America website, less than 5 percent ever do.

In addition to showing leadership and service skills, receiving an Eagle reward requires a scout to earn 21 merit badges.  Additionally, a four-person board made up of Boy Scout group leaders and mentors must approve all projects.

Griswold says the hard work he put into his project was worth it because of the values and skills he gained through the experience.

“You get to understand how to work with others in a group and define yourself as a leader,” he says.

Colton, who worked on a quarter-mile section of a trail, also felt a sense of success and achievement upon receiving his Eagle Scout award.

“I’ve gained many life skills, and had a lot of fun on the way,” he says.