LIVE: Girls basketball takes on Walter Johnson regional semi-finals
Boys basketball outclasses Churchill in regional semi-finals
“Dune: Part Two”: an instant sci-fi classic
Board of Education decides future of 3 programs after hearing community member testimonies
Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Mitch Keller’s journey to the Major League
NBA In-Season Tournament: A format other leagues should learn from

February 27, 2024

Boys soccer edges out BCC 1–0 in Battle of Bethesda

The boys soccer team (43) defeated rival BCC (251) 1–0 in a defensive battle on Monday night.

The highly anticipated Battle of Bethesda got underway on a cold and chilly Monday night at Walt Whitman High School. The Vikes had the monumentum overwhelmed from the opening whistle, winning the possession contest. For most of the 50-50 balls, Whitman took control. After several near goals, junior Hayden Walsh tapped in a beautiful shot to take the lead for the Vikes. It was a critical score, as it would end up being the only goal of the entire game. Whitman had a few good looks on goal but could not extend their lead. 

“It’s BCC, so we play with a different intensity than we normally do,” Walsh said. “I think that’s what led me to score.”

Coming out of halftime, the storyline remained the same. The game continued to be physical, with two yellow cards being awarded to the Barrons separately. The Vikes answered back and remained physical. The clock hit zero, and Whitman celebrated as it was a gritty win for the Vikes.

Whitman will look to continue their momentum this Thursday when they face the Wooton Patriots (1–8) at 5:15.