LIVE: Baseball takes on Blair in state quarterfinals
Bomb threat prompts evacuation of Walt Whitman High School
Girls lacrosse destroys Montgomery Blair 20–3 instate quarter-finals
LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z

Field Hockey outlasts Churchill 2–1 in overtime

Vassili Prokopenko

The field hockey team (6–0) narrowly defeated the Churchill Bulldogs (3–1) 2–1 in an overtime thriller Thursday night.

Like many of the previous games, the Vikes struggled to get things going to start the first quarter. Churchill managed to net one in the first quarter off a corner to give themselves a quick 1–0 lead. The Vikes played great defense throughout the rest of the first half, but the offense continued to struggle and remained down one as the whistle blew for halftime.

In the second half, senior Kiley Kreter scored a much-needed goal for the Vikes to tie the game at one apiece. For the remainder of the second half, Whitman looked like the better team but that did not stop the Churchill defense as they held strong. With neither team able to put one in the back of the net, the game was forced into overtime with seven players for each team instead of 11. 

In overtime, freshman Devan Pratt narrowly missed an opportunity to put the game away on a breakaway. Pratt redeemed herself when she made an excellent pass to junior Maya Raphael, who sent a stinger straight past the goalie to give the Vikes a 2–1 win over the talented Bulldogs.

The team next plays cross-town rival the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Barons (2–2) next Wednesday night at Jerome in the Battle of Bethesda.