Swim and Dive competes at States; boys finish fifth, girls sixth

By Sara Azimi

The Swim and Dive team finished off their season at the MPSSAA 4A/3A State Championship. Divers competed Friday and swimmers competed Saturday.

Boys

The boys swim team finished with 201 points, and earned fifth place overall. The 200 Yard Medley Relay group composed of juniors Michael Paulos and Frank Schweitzer, sophomore Alec Cooper and senior Danny Calder took second place, finishing with a time of 1:36.60. Paulos and Schweitzer also captured sixth and seventh place, respectively in the 200 Yard IM with times of 1:58.25 and 1:58.92. In the 100 Yard Butterfly, Cooper took fifth place with a time of 50.61 seconds and Calder took seventh with a time of 51.55 seconds. Sophomore Gideon Helf also contributed points with his eighth place finish in the 500 Yard Freestyle with a time of 4:46.44.

For dive, sophomore Jonathan Lindstrom earned 335.30 points, earning seventh place overall.

Girls

The girls swim team finished with 151 points, earning them sixth place overall. The 200 Yard Medley Relay group of sophomore Susan Rodgers, junior Annie Morris and seniors Sarah Johnson and Sophie Reilly took fourth place with a time of 1:49.91. Reilly also earned sixth in the 200 Yard IM, finishing in 2:08.88 and first in the 100 Yard Butterfly, finishing in 55.91. Morris secured third place in the 100 Yard Backstroke with a time of 58.54, and Johnson finished in seventh place in the 100 Yard Breaststroke with a time of 1:05.49.

For dive, senior Naomi Douek and freshman Lily Hsu took fourth and fifth place, respectively. Douek earned 372.05 points and Hsu earned 367.25 points.

About the Writer
Sara Azimi, Sports Writer
Grade

11

What are some of your interests?

Basketball

Why did you join the Black and White?

I am interested in journalism and I want to improve my writing.

What's your favorite vegetable?

sweet potato