Track team competes at regionals, athletes qualify for states

By Jose Wray

The girls and boys track team placed ninth and 12th, respectively at the regional championship Wednesday and Thursday. The girls team took fifth in the 4×400 meter relay and continued their domination from counties in the 4×800 meter relay with another first place finish and a final time of 9:33.09.

“We feel strong,” said freshman Samantha Rubin, who anchors the 4×800 relay. “We are seeded second for the 4 by 8 and we need to drop our time, but we can do it.”

Sophomore Alicia Lauwers placed sixth in both the girls 1600 meter and 3200 meter, and Sophomore Solomon Adeoti placed fifth in the boys 200 meter, missing out on states by just over three tenths of a second. Senior Josh Engles and Junior Michael Murphy both earned points for the Vikes in the 3200 meter, with Engles placing sixth and Murphy placing eighth.

The boys team placed fourth in the 4×800 meter relay and look to compete at states. Junior Breanna McDonald set a new personal record in the 800 meter, placing third and qualifying for states with a time of 2:18.92. Sophomore Georgia Headley also qualified for states after finishing fourth in the girls 100 meter hurdles.

The athletes who qualified will compete at the state championships May 25 and 26.