Coed volleyball falls to Wootton in second round of playoffs

The coed volleyball team failed to overcome Wootton's stingy defense in Tuesday's second round matchup. Photo by Matthew van Bastelaer.

By Matthew van Bastelaer

The coed volleyball team (7–5) lost to the top-seeded Wootton Patriots Tuesday in straight sets to end their season.

The Vikes remained within six points in each set, losing 25–23, 25–19, and 25–19. Middle hitter Jack Farren and setter Maddie McGill led the squad, while outside hitters Jared Lesley and Julia Eisenberg dominated off the bench for the Vikes.

“Wootton is overall a stronger team,” defensive specialist Maddie London said. “They have an incredible defense that helps them pick up scrappy balls that we struggle with.”

Defensive specialist Andrew Constable reflected positively on the team’s season despite the tough loss.

“I’m extremely proud of our team,” Constable said. “While we certainly would’ve liked to have won today, I’m sure not one of us can be disappointed with how the season played out.”

The loss also marked the end of coach Jacob East’s first year with the team.

“It was a learning experience, but I think that by the end we pulled it all together,” East said. “The beginning of the season was a little rough. Figuring out positions, figuring out players’ particular skill sets and what they excel at was a challenge but, overall, it was great squad.”