Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2
Baseball falls to BCC 7–3 in the ultimate Battle of Bethesda
Boys volleyball falls to Walter Johnson 3–1

Scholarship fund created in memoriam of alumna

Thanks to a scholarship fund set up at the Columbia School of Journalism, one Whitman alumna’s friends and family have ensured that her legacy will never be forgotten.

unspecified
Olivia Barker was passionate about her career as a journalist, working for USA Today until her death in Dec. 2014. Photo courtesy of Jessica Furst.

Olivia Barker (’92) passed away in 2014, following a triple-negative BRCA-positive breast cancer diagnosis. In her memory, loved ones created the Olivia Barker Scholarship Fund at Columbia. Barker received her Master’s degree in journalism at the university, following a passion that sprouted in high school writing for the Black & White.

“Olivia was News Editor of the Black & White our senior year,” alumna Kara Cumberland (’92) said. “Even in high school, she loved writing, English and journalism.”

After graduating, Barker wrote for the Life section of USA Today, covering events such as the Olympics, New York Fashion Week, and even the Miss America pageant, posing as the 52nd contestant for a behind-the-scenes look at the event.

“She loved identifying a new fashion trend, writing about unique human experiences, and digging into all aspects of American life,” Cumberland said. “Her abilities for writing well, for sharing people’s experiences, and for telling a good story unfortunately were cut short by her death.”

When Barker passed, family and friends wanted something positive to come from her tragic death, said Pamela Shockey, Barker’s sister.

“Every year, this fund will be bestowed to a graduate of the Columbia School of Journalism with a prodigious talent for storytelling like Olivia,” Shockey said.

Shockey, Cumberland and many other family members and friends hope to fully endow the fund with $100,000 by 2020, meaning they will need an additional $64,240 in donations.

Alumna Jessica Furst (’92) said that Barker’s family will select and have the opportunity to meet the recipient of the scholarship, in order to simultaneously honor Barker and recognize a talented young journalist.

“I miss her very, very much, but it’s comforting to think other people will benefit from this opportunity,” Cumberland said. “There are so many stories out there, and the world needs more journalists to tell them.”

If you would like to donate to the Olivia Barker Scholarship Fund, please visit www.oliviabarker.org.