LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

Smaller teacher salaries, class sizes coming to MCPS

Members of the Montgomery County Council. Photo Courtesy of Katherine Frey of the Washington Post.
Members of the Montgomery County Council, who approve decisions regarding MCPS, attend a meeting. Photo Courtesy of Katherine Frey of the Washington Post.

The Montgomery County Council approved a $5.3 billion budget May 26, and unanimously voted in favor of implementing smaller class sizes in MCPS. As a result, in the 2016-2017 school year, previously negotiated raises for teachers will be trimmed to allocate more of the budget toward reducing class sizes.

The budget change is an effort to close the county’s achievement gap. This cut would redistribute between $36 and $37 million and reduce class sizes by an average of two students, according to the Washington Post.

Whitman class sizes have slowly increased over the years. While attempting to stop this is a step in the right direction, teachers are hard working and deserve pay raises, principal Alan Goodwin said.

Smaller class sizes will give the students the attention they need, but there’s still more Montgomery County can do, English teacher Elon Walter said.

“Education is part of the solution to closing the achievement gap,” Walter said. “But like most struggles and challenges in life, it’s a multifaceted, complex issue that has a lot of factors go into it.”

Walter and every other MCPS teacher is required to be in a teacher union, Montgomery County Education Association. MCEA President Christopher Lloyd represents teachers and gives them a voice in large decisions like this by reaching out to the council and communicating between the organizations constantly.

“The vote is disappointing, it’s frustrating,” Lloyd told WTOP. “But I’m also someone who understands that the public schools are supported by the public.”

Though teachers most directly feel the effects of the decision, it is ultimately for students’ good. The short-term pain being felt by teachers will hopefully create a long-term gain for teachers, students and parents, Lloyd said.

Students, on the other hand, have no complaints.

“Smaller class sizes are a much better environment to learn in,” sophomore Lindsey Schneider said. “It will help to focus on individual needs of students, giving more opportunity to talk one on one with your teacher.”