New Maryland law makes contraceptives more accessible

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia.

Governor Larry Hogan signed the Contraceptive Equity Act May 11, requiring that all insurance providers, including those under the Affordable Care Act, cover over-the-counter birth control, vasectomies and emergency contraceptives for Maryland residents; the law makes Maryland the first state to pass such legislation.

The law will take effect Jan. 1, 2018 so insurers can prepare for the Affordable Care Act enrollment season in 2017.

As a result of the law, women will be able to pick up a six-month supply of birth control each time they visit a doctor and insurance companies will eliminate the preauthorization requirements for long-lasting contraceptives.

Though many insurance plans already cover limited forms of birth control, most don’t offer recipients a choice in the type of contraceptive.

“There is a large range of side effects that come with the pill, so it’s important that girls can find the type of birth control that works for them,” junior Delaney Corcoran said. “The act will allow Whitman students to practice safe sex without worrying about the cost.”

Religious employers that provide health care are exempt from complying with the act and can deny covered employees free birth control.

But even with exemptions, the act will still be helpful because not all birth control works for every student, health teacher Kristina Smyrk said.

“Having access to more expensive, longer-term birth control is important because not all students can remember to take a pill every day,” Smyrk said. “Students who have issues with specific types of birth control now have options, which is awesome.”