Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

Softball falls short to NCS 7–6 on senior night

[score id=”50278″ align=”right”]
The girls softball team (4–11) fell to the National Cathedral Eagles 7–6 on Monday’s senior night, as the Vikes’ late-inning comeback came up just short.

Starting pitcher Riley Kuehn starts her wind-up in the team's loss against NCS. Photo by Jefferson Luo.
Starting pitcher Riley Kuehn starts her wind-up in the team’s loss against NCS. Photo by Jefferson Luo.

Down by three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, the Vikes had two RBI singles that cut the deficit down to one.

Next inning, the squad got runners on first and second base with two outs, but couldn’t get either runner home.

Despite the tough ending, the team viewed the game as a good way to send off its seniors.

“Although we lost, we still had a lot of fun and we were all in a good mood,” shortstop Lucy Cronin said. “Our seniors all seemed to have a great time.”

In addition to senior night, the game solidified the Vikes as the six seed in the state tournament, where they will face third-seeded Northwood.

The Vikes won the previous matchup against the Gladiators 11-4 and hope to build off the past success. Cronin feels that success at the plate will be key for the squad’s upcoming matchup.

“We’ll need to string hits together and turn them into runs in order to win,” Cronin said.

The Vikes will play this game away on Thursday at 5:15 p.m.