Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

Baseball edged out by St. Albans 5–2

[score id=”50272″ align=”right”]

Shortstop Ian Atkinson dives to tag out the St. Albans runner in the fifth inning. Photo courtesy Whitman baseball.

The baseball team (12–4) fell to the St. Albans Bulldogs 5–2 on Monday. Errors and an inconsistent offensive performance plagued the Vikes throughout the game.

The Vikings’ offense started off slow, and by the 4th inning, Whitman was down 4–0. The Vikes’ struggles on offense have been a recurring problem throughout the season.

“We really need to work on our hitting,” catcher Robert Kraff said. “The lack of offensive durability and vitality is killing.”

The squad finally created some offense in the seventh inning, scoring two runs, but by then the Bulldogs had built up a five run lead to put the game out of reach for the Vikings.

Despite the inconsistent offense, the team turned out another solid pitching performance, as the rotation only allowed two earned runs. Unfortunately, errors accounted for three additional runs for the Bulldogs.

“Most of our wins during the second half of the season were due to great defense by our pitching staff and the team in general,” Kraff said.

The team’s next game is at home against the Wootton Patriots Tuesday at 7:00.