MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1
Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Baseball falls to defending state champion Gaithersburg 1–0

[score id=”50134″ align=”right”]

Second baseman Sean Hannegan fully lays out for a ground ball in the fourth inning. Photo courtesy Whitman baseball.

The baseball team (12–3) was shut out 1–0 by the defending state champions Gaithersburg Trojans in a defensive showdown on Tuesday.

Through the first five innings, the game was scoreless. The only run scored was in the bottom of seventh when Gaithersburg delivered a walk-off rbi single.

Throughout the game, pitcher Sean Cook consistently made clutch pitches to get the Vikes out of jams. In the fifth inning, Cook got out of a bases loaded, no outs jam by striking out three consecutive batters.

“Our pitcher Sean Cook was absolutely ridiculous,” pitcher Matthew Trant said. “He was throwing hard strikes and the best team in the state couldn’t touch him. Our middle infield of Sean Hannegan and Ian Atkinson made some crucial plays as well.”

Despite the stellar defense, the Vikes’ offense couldn’t get anything going as the Trojans pitcher only allowed two hits during the entire game.

“They were throwing their ace Nick Pantos who is a University of Maryland commit, so we really had to capitalize any mistakes that he made which were few and far between,” Trant said.

The team’s next game is home against the Wootton Patriots Thursday at 7 pm.