Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2
Baseball falls to BCC 7–3 in the ultimate Battle of Bethesda
Boys volleyball falls to Walter Johnson 3–1

Basketball teams’ members receive extensive awards

Last winter marked one of the most successful seasons for girls and boys basketball in the history of the school.

While their official basketball season ended in March, players at Whitman have been selected for different regional awards teams. Some players were also chosen for the All-Academic team, which awards success in athletics and academia.

Girls Team

Guard Abby Meyers and forward Hannah Niles both received multiple prestigious awards, with each making the first All-State team. Meyers also made the first All-Met team, which covers the metropolitan area. Niles was also an All-Met honorable mention.

“It’s truly special,” Meyers said. “I just try to enjoy every moment of the ride.”

Additionally, Meyers won Montgomery Player of the County for girls basketball. She attributes the great season to the coaches and leaders on the team.

“Coach Kenah really emphasized team leadership,” Meyers said. “Having strong role models like the ones this year really built our confidence and helped us reach the next level.”

Coach Peter Kenah received South Division Coach of the Year honors, and was named Montgomery Coach of the County.

From the beginning of the season, the team melded well, creating a strong dynamic between the players.

“Players like Betsy Knox would be superstars on other teams,” Kenah said. “But that’s the sacrifice our players made, and it allowed us to have this kind of season.”

This was the first year the girls team had won states under Kenah’s coaching . The girls’ season has not only left an impact on the school, but on members of the community.

“Being a source of inspiration for younger players is something I’ve always dreamed about,” Meyers said. “It’s humbling and self-inspiring when a young kid comes up to me and asks if I’m Abby Meyers.”

Boys Team

Guard Shaq Diboti-Lobe was selected for many teams, including third team All-Met. Diboti-Lobe led the county in scoring, averaging 20.7 points per game this season. As a result the coaches of the county voted him Montgomery Player of the County.

Center Maxwell Oppenheim and guard Hannes Kogelnik were both placed on the All-Academic team, for success on the court and in class.

“I was really excited by the county award, but in my opinion the academic award was more important,” Oppenheim said. “It’s very difficult to maintain high grades while excelling at a sport and it’s nice that student athletes can be recognized for that hard work.”

The boys team made the regional finals under coach Christopher Lun for the second time in three years.

“I really enjoyed coaching and working with this year’s team,” Lun said. “They worked hard, played well together, and really bought into doing the things it took to be successful.”

Success is natural for Lun, who already has a state championship under his belt. The team reached Lun’s yearly goal of reaching the regional finals, and he’s excited about the future of the team.

“Our basketball program seems to be in a pretty good spot right now,” Lun said. “We have a lot of pieces coming back and hope to have another great season of Whitman basketball.”