LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

Girls basketball dominates North Point 64-37 to advance to state final

[score id=”48853″ align=”right”]

After a 19–3 regular season, the girls basketball team made history Thursday night with a dominating 64–37 victory over the North Point Eagles, giving the Vikings a chance to play in a state final for the first time since 1995.

The game marked the Vikes’ third semifinal appearance in four years, following last year’s heartbreaking 48–30 loss to eventual state champion Eleanor Roosevelt. Team members said that after last year, they were determined to get back to Towson this year.

“This year we were more prepared and composed—most likely from good senior leadership—so overall it feels great to win and redeem ourselves,” forward Livy Meyers said.

After losing in the state semi-finals last season, the girls basketball team took care of business this year, defeating North Point 64-37 to advance to the state final. Photo by Tomas Castro.

The win was also guard Marie Hatch’s first semifinal appearance since her freshman year on the team. She had sat out last season’s game against Roosevelt with a broken ankle.

“I was just glad to be on the court this time around, to be able to help my team out more,” Hatch said in an interview with the Washington Post.

Hatch ended up scoring three points to go with five assists, and guard Abby Meyers and forward Hannah Niles paced the team with 26 and 14, respectively.

The teams traded baskets early on, and both teams struggled to limit turnovers. The Vikes led 12-9 after the first quarter.

As the second quarter unfolded, the Viking defense began to take over. The Vikes extended their lead to 28-20 at halftime, heading into the locker room with great momentum.

Crisp passing and aggressive drives to the rim allowed the Vikings to continue to increase their lead. A 14-2 run dating back to first half gave the Vikings a comfortable lead. The Vikings outscored the Eagles 18-5 in the third quarter to give them a 46-25 lead going into the the fourth.

“When we get into the really middle or heart of the game, that is when we lock down as a team,” forward Emily Meyers said. “Our goals were to stop their transition offense and rebound on both ends because we have size, and we accomplished all of them.”

The girls scored 18 points again in the fourth quarter, while staying aggressive on defense. The team held the Eagles’ strongest player Necole Hope to only four points for the entire game, Livy Meyers noted.

With their season hanging in the balance, the Eagles’ frustration boiled over. Eagles forward Ciara Bryson slammed the ball after committing a foul, earning a technical foul.

Once the Vikes secured a 60–33 lead with around three minutes left, head coach Peter Kenah finished off the game by pulling his starters.

The Vikes cruised to a 64-37 win, giving them an opportunity to play for a state title Saturday against Western, coach Kenah’s first time in a state final.

Western High School won the 4A state title in 1995, the same year the Vikings won their first and only 3A state title.

The Vikes will play Western at 3:00 p.m. this Saturday at Towson University.