Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Ice Hockey rolls over Wootton 6–0

[score id=”48009″ align=”right”]
Ice hockey improved to a 6–4–2 record Friday, after a defensive shutout allowed them a 6–0 victory.

The Vikes surround forward Tyler Crist after his first of two goals. Photo courtesy Tammy Hughes.
The Vikes surround forward Tyler Crist after his first of two goals.
Photo courtesy Tammy Hughes.

The game showed the team’s improvement over the course of the season; the Vikings previously tied Wootton 3–3.

The Vikes got on the scoreboard late in the first period with forward Tyler Crist’s goal, then exploded in the second period with goals from forwards Ben Barrett, Douglas Bruchalski, and Joey Schaefer.

Defenseman Mark Meinecke said that Barrett’s goal was particularly impressive because he knocked the puck out of the air into the goal.

The game finished off with another goal by Crist, and with less than a minute left Meinecke added a goal of his own.

Although the Vikings were hot on offense, Meinecke attributed much of the team’s success to their ability to stop Wootton’s strong offense.

“Penalty kill and goaltending were huge,” Meinecke said. “We took many penalties but we still got a shutout thanks to a great defensive effort by the team and our goalie Matt Derry.”

The game places the Vikes second in their conference, behind the undefeated Churchill Bulldogs. The team will need to beat Walter Johnson Wednesday at 2:45 at Cabin John to make the playoffs.