Later start times spark elementary school backlash

Now that start times have been pushed back, many elementary school parents have been speaking out against the recent change. The BOE’s decision this February pushed elementary school start times back 10 minutes and end times back 20 minutes, raising concerns about young children’s inability to pay attention for so long and the late hour at which kids return from school. 

“I haven’t heard one person say this is a good thing,” said Caryn Stein, paraeducator at Burning Tree Elementary School, where school now lasts from 9:25 a.m. until 3:50 p.m.

Stein and other teachers at Burning Tree said that the change has made things worse for students, parents and teachers at the school.

Kids are ready to go at the beginning of the day, but worn out and unable to focus at the end, Burning Tree art teacher Jennifer Parrott said. She said when it comes to start times, the earlier the better because younger students naturally wake up early anyway.

However, older students and their parents have stated the opposite, and many high school students prefer this year’s start times to the earlier ones of past years. But right now, elementary school parents are being more vocal about their opinions on the change.

“They’re only hearing from elementary school parents who are having a hard time logistically with the change,” Pyle PTSA representative Deborah Goldman said of the BOE. “I think it would be great for people at Whitman to let the Board of Education know how great the 20 minutes have been. All they’re hearing are the negatives not the positives.”

Despite the complaints, it is unlikely that the BOE will reverse the start time decision, Board president Michael Durso said.

“It would be great if they could solve the logistical concerns from the elementary schools,” Goldman said. “But that can’t outweigh the health and safety of our kids.”

SGA leaders from around the county discussed the issue at a meeting on Thursday, Dec 3.