Ice hockey takes down rival B-CC 8–6

f30eacbc-a402-4921-b3ab-62282871e7f6
Defenseman Marc Shulman scores the Vikes’ final goal in Friday’s game against BCC. Photo courtesy of Carolyn Price.

Ice hockey served the rival B-CC Barons their third loss of the season Friday night in a hard-fought 8–6 match.

“[B-CC] came out hard and played a good game,” defenseman Jamie Miura said. “They used a lot more skill than last year, when they just tried to hit us through the glass.”

During the first and second periods, the Vikes and Barons were neck-and-neck, with the score going back and forth between the two. The second period ended 5–5, with goals from forwards Joey Schaefer, Carter Hughes and Joseph Tseytlin and two from defenseman Mark Meinecke.

At the start of the third period, the Vikes were finally able to overpower the Barons. Twenty seconds into the period, forward Tyler Crist succeeded in finding the back of the net. Later on, Schaefer and defenseman Marc Shulman each contributed a goal as well.

The Barons snuck in a final goal with less than a minute left, but couldn’t catch up to the Vikes’ 3-point lead.

“The last goal by Schaefer was crucial since it was the insurance goal,” Miura said.

The team (2–1–2) takes on Landon Tuesday at 4:15 at the Rockville Ice Arena.