Ice hockey ties Wootton 3–3 after big comeback

The ice hockey team tied 3–3 for the second week in a row Friday night, making a stunning comeback against the Wootton Patriots.

The Vikes had difficulty gaining momentum on offense at the beginning of the game, allowing one goal during the first period and two in the second.

“Our passing was really sloppy and we were struggling to break the puck out of our own zone,” defenseman Tiger Bjornlund said. “What really killed us was the 5-on-3 early in the first, which allowed them to get their first goal.”

But the Vikings took control of the game nine seconds into the third period, when center Ben Barrett’s goal brought the score to 3–1. Bjornlund said the goal acted as a catalyst for the team’s success in the rest of the game—two minutes later, forward Carter Hughes also knocked one in.

Later in the period, forward Joey Schaefer scored a goal which would have tied the game at 3–3, but after much deliberation, the referees decided that Schaefer had been inside the crease, and the goal was retracted.

Luckily for the Vikes, Barrett scored again with five minutes left in the game to secure the tie at 3–3, though the team said they felt they should have won the game because of Schaefer’s goal.

“But given being down by three goals at the start of the 3rd, we were really happy to come back and manage to get a point out of the game,” Bjornlund said.

The team, now 0–1–2 on the season, will wait until December 4th for their next game, when they face Sherwood at the Rockville Ice Arena.