Crew dominates in Head of the Occoquan Regatta, improves from previous race

The past two weekends, members of girls and boys crew competing with Thompson Boat Center traveled out of state to participate in the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta and the Head of the Occoquan Regatta, the last two races of the season.

At both regattas the team raced fours and eights: four and eight rowers, respectively, directed by a coxswain.

For the Head of the Schuylkill, held October 25 on the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, TBC brought 12 boats that came in with varied results.

Notably, the womens eight 1V placed fifth out of 50 in their race, and the womens eight 2V came in third out of 58 in theirs.

Although the 2V was marked for its strong performance, the 1V didn’t place as high as expected given previous results, coach Kirk Shipley explained.

“It was frustrating because the week before at the Head of the Charles we were the third-fastest team that we would have seen in Philadelphia, yet two teams we had beaten beat us,” he said.

The Head of the Occoquan, which TBC attended November 1 on the Occoquan River in Virginia, brought in better overall results for the team.

The womens eight 1V redeemed themselves from the previous weekend with a first place win, which the womens four 3V and the mens and womens eight 3V snagged as well. The mens eight 1V pulled in a second-place finish, as did the womens four 1V.

“It was our best race of the season: we ended strong with wins across the board,” 3V eight rower Hannah Aalemansour said.

The team will begin their usual takeover of the hallways for winter training starting in December in preparation for next year’s spring season.