MCPS to stop sponsoring service trips

Every year, students forsake the comforts of home to live with high school students abroad. They explore new languages, tastes and cultures as a part of MCPS-sponsored exchange programs.

But starting this year, MCPS will no longer sponsor any foreign exchange trips. Schools used to be required to cover costs for any students who couldn’t afford the trips, but due to the heavy financial burden this puts on schools, MCPS cut all programs. The decision will also help MCPS cope with budget cuts because it will no longer have to pay liability insurance for the trips, principal Alan Goodwin said.

Fortunately, foreign exchange experiences for Whitman students will continue thanks to Youth For Understanding USA (YFU), a non-profit international organization based in D.C. dedicated to advancing intercultural understanding through educational foreign exchange programs.

“We couldn’t do [foreign exchange trips] without some liability insurance,” Goodwin said. “This organization will help us with that.”

After the policy change, social studies resource teacher Bob Mathis, who traveled with YFU when he was in high school, reached out to the organization to discuss a potential partnership with the school. YFU program coordinator Kathryn Russell (’08) was receptive to the idea and will now coordinate logistics for Whitman trips, including travel expenses and insurance.

“We are thrilled at the opportunity to get involved with a DC-area school, and excited that the mission of these programs at Whitman aligns so closely with YFU’s mission of intercultural exchange and understanding,” Russell said.

In the past, teachers running the trips had to publicize and organize travel logistics on their own. Now, with YFU’s participation, teachers will only have to plan itineraries. In addition to booking travel and offering insurance, YFU will run pre-departure orientations for students and parents and assist with the application process, Russell said.

Teachers, who will be considered “YFU volunteers,” will continue to chaperone trips, she said.
Students’ experiences will largely stay the same.

“We’re still designing the trips,” Mathis said. “We’re still going to do home stays. We’re still going to have kids in classes. We’re still going to have fun. ”