Girls soccer stays undefeated with 2–0 win over WJ

The girls soccer team improved their record to 4–0 on Thursday night, after a 2–0 win at home over the Walter Johnson Wildcats, ranked as the Washington Post’s All Met Sports eighth-best team this fall.

The match got off to a rough start for the Vikes, who weren’t able to keep possession of the ball on offense, allowing the Wildcats seven shots on goal. Midfielder Kate Morrison said their performance in the first half was influenced by Monday’s game against cross-town rival B-CC.

Midfielder Emily Tompkins breaks through two Wildcat defenders minutes before scoring the first goal of the game. Photo by Michael Rosenblum

“That was a really tough game as well,” Morrison said. “I think a lot of us were tired, and I think we often underestimate WJ.”

With nine minutes left in the first half, forward Sophie Nichols suffered an ankle injury near the Wildcats’ goal. The game was briefly paused so that midfielder Ellie Harris could go in to take her place.

The Vikings were able to rebound after the injury, however, when forward Olivia Lobsenz drove the ball up the side for a quick pass to midfielder Emily Tompkins, who took a shot on goal that flew past the WJ goalie.

The break at the half turned out to be just what the team needed, as they came back in the game with more energy than before. Six minutes in, handball was called on a Walter Johnson defender, giving forward Abby Meyers a direct shot on goal which sailed into the net for the Vikes’ last point of the night.

“Our second half was definitely a lot better than the first,” Morrison said. “That showed our determination to do well and improve, because we weren’t doing well at first.”

The Vikings’ offense had many more scoring opportunities during the half, but were unable to capitalize any further. 

The Vikes will travel to Kennedy on Monday at 7:15 to take on the Cavaliers.