Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Girls soccer defeats B-CC 2–1 in Battle of Bethesda

[score id=”45966″ align=”right”]
Despite the pouring rain, the girls soccer team remained undefeated with a 2–1 victory over the previously-undefeated B-CC Barons Monday night in an intense meeting of cross-town rivals.

The game marked the first annual Battle of Bethesda tournament between the two teams, in which the winner receives a trophy to keep until the next year’s game. Both teams were raising money for the organization Soccer Without Borders, which aims to make a positive change in the world by providing children in various countries the ability to have fun while playing soccer.

“For us to win this event when we have the first annual fundraiser for the first annual Battle of Bethesda, I think, was a really cool experience for the girls,” coach Greg Herbert said.

The game began with an even showing from both sides, with the Vikings and Barons both showing aggression that lasted throughout the game. Though both teams received penalty kicks during the first half, neither found the back of the net.

Midfielder Kate Morrison dribbles up the wing before a pass, showcasing her technical abilities. Photo courtesy Adam Prill.

With 15 minutes left in the half, the Vikes’ front line brought the ball back down the towards the goal, where it ended up at the feet of midfielder Emily Tompkins for a tap-in to the back corner of the net.

The second half brought as much excitement as the first, with an added two goals as well as multiple shots on goal from both sides.

After forward Abby Meyers was fouled by a B-CC defender, midfielder Kristen Bissell took the penalty kick, which easily sailed past the Baron’s goalkeeper.

But B-CC recovered within the next two minutes with a breakaway the Vikes were unable to stop leading to a goal.

Within the last three minutes of play, the Barons again retained possession of the ball and tightened their offense around the goal, but the Viking defense was able to make quick saves that kept them in the lead until the end.

“We were just trying to hold them off and keep the win because we really wanted it,” Tompkins said. “We were really just giving whatever we had left.”

Because of the tough rivalry between the two teams, and the Barons also hold one of the highest rankings in the county, this was a key win for the girls this season.

“They have a great squad, so this was a good way to measure where we’re at at the beginning of the season and see where we can improve on,” Herbert said. “It’s just a great rivalry between two great teams.”

The Vikes host their other cross-town rivals, the WJ Wildcats, Thursday at 7:15.