Gym flooding causes sports teams to relocate

A storm during the main gym’s roof installation led to flooding in late July, temporarily suspending summer sports from practicing in the gym.

Gaps in the incomplete roof during an afternoon shower caused the flooding, forcing certain sports practices to relocate. After necessary repairs on the floor and roof, the gym became available for restricted use Aug. 24.

Flooding in the main gym caused fall sports teams to temporarily relocate for tryouts and practices. No home games will played in the gym this fall. Photo by Rachel Friedman.

Volleyball, poms, and cheerleading moved to the small gym and the cafeteria for practice during the repairs.

Now, poms and cheerleading can use the main gym, while volleyball remains in the small gym, Athletic Director Andrew Wetzel said.

While the damage is manageable for the upcoming school year, the flooding may have long term aftermath, principal Alan Goodwin.

“There is a chance that there will be some eventual buckling in spots of the gym, so MCPS will reassess the gym in early October,” Goodwin said. “I like to think the floor will be okay for this school year, but I think it will need to at least be sanded and refinished next summer.”