Spring All-Met and Chichester winners announced

In the past few days, many Whitman athletes have been recognized either within the school community or regionally for notable contributions to their sports teams.

Whitman Athletics announced the winners of the spring Chichester award June 10; the awards are given to one senior on each sports team who teammates believe best demonstrates hard work and sportsmanship.

The winners were Caroline Schweitzer (girls lacrosse), Colin Hains (boys lacrosse), Tyler Jacobson (boys tennis), Hannah Jacobs (coed volleyball), Alex Clark (baseball), Olivia Weals (softball), Anna Deziel (gymnastics), Sarah Franklin-Gillette (corollary softball) and Harrison Guh and Clare Severe (track).

Besides the in-school acknowledgements for seniors, athletes of all grades were eligible for recognition of their contributions on a larger scale.

Sophomore Graham Hutchinson made the 2015 golf All-Met first team, released online June 12, as part of the Washington Post’s program to recognize highly accomplished athletes from the Washington metropolitan area for the fall, winter and spring seasons.

In addition, rowers Eliza Clifford, Monica McEwan, and Nick Anderson were on the crew first team, while Rebecca Katz and Michael Gump both received honorable mentions. Gymnast Lila Hobby was also an honorable mention, as well as tennis player Jack Welch.

For lacrosse, midfielders Maddie Parker and Eden Grey, along with goalie Colin Hains, were given honorable mentions, and for track, state-champion distance runners Clare Severe and Evan Woods were awarded honorable mentions for their contributions.

Hutchinson, who won the state championship last October with a total score of 141, tied for third place in the county, finishing with a 9-hole average of 35.50 strokes.

“I enjoyed all of the success for sure,” he said. “But my favorite part of the season was just practicing and having a good time with my teammates.”

Teammates said they benefitted from Hutchinson’s success, as he would often offer advice to help them improve their skills.

“Even though he’s one of the younger guys on the team, he is very mature on the course and he has helped the whole team mature on the course as well,” teammate Danny Mills said.

Despite his season being in the fall, Hutchinson was awarded All-Met recognition in the spring to accommodate private school players who had spring golf seasons.

To celebrate the athletes’ success, the Post held a luncheon June 8 for the All-Met players and coaches where speakers included Post sportswriter Matt Vita, University of Maryland men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon and Redskins Insider for Comcast SportsNet Tarik El-Bashir.

“It was a privilege to be at the luncheon and just be surrounded by other top-notch athletes who share the same kind of motivation and passion that I do,” Hutchinson said.

Hutchinson said he looks forward to continuing his success from this year into the upcoming fall season.

“It was really an honor to be a part of the All-Met family and I want to come back next year and be a part of it again,” he said.