Class of 2015 graduates Wednesday afternoon

Seniors congregated for a final time for graduation at Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Constitution Hall Wednesday.

The Symphonic Orchestra greeted guests with upbeat opening music, and were later followed by an inspirational performance from the combined Men’s and Women’s Choruses.

Aaron Dane, Hannah Tatem and Amal Haque were the student speakers. Dane compared student’s futures to “the perfect cup of coffee,” while Tatem left students with a few words about both Whitman and the Class of 2015’s legacy.

“We don’t always remember what we want to, but what we feel we’re supposed to,” she said. “I hope what we do remember is this feeling and presence. The sensation that each and everyone one of us is here, together and part of this Walt Whitman class of 2015.”

Haque gave a more humorous speech, making fun of aspects of high school such as Whitman’s unusual bell timing and “piggybacking” on group projects when not completing the required reading.

Senator Cardin was the event's keynote speaker. Photo by Rachel Friedman.
Senator Cardin was the event’s keynote speaker. Photo by Rachel Friedman.

The keynote speaker, Senator Benjamin A. Cardin, followed with a focus on student futures beyond high school. Cardin talked about the worthiness of college and pursuing other world problems.

“As you take your diplomas in hand this afternoon and prepare to go beyond the walls of Walt Whitman, enjoy yourselves and enjoy your freedom,” he said. “But also, always remember your responsibilities and to dedicate yourself to the greater cause. You will find success and happiness on that path, and the world will be a better place because of you.”

Goodwin presented the senior class, beginning with a moment of silence in remembrance for lost class member Yousef Awadh, who took his life last year, and Whitman parent and volunteer Sandy Lederman, who passed away this February after losing a battle with liver cancer.

He also awarded Mikaela Fishman the title of “Poet Laureate,” an award started in 2008 that is given to an exceptional poet to honor of Walt Whitman.

The class of 2015's high school careers came to an end on June 3. Photo by Rachel Friedman.
The class of 2015’s high school careers came to an end on June 3. Photo by Rachel Friedman.

Goodwin recognized certain clubs, achievements and plans for the following year. He reported that seniors will be attending 152 different universities in 35 different states, and have collected over 11 million dollars in college scholarships.

When he called for any students who had gone out for lunch before senior year to rise, a majority of the class met him with a standing ovation and an echoing chuckle throughout the audience.

Goodwin then shifted his focus from the accomplishments of the past to the promise of the future.

“I encourage you to keep an open mind, to reach out compassionately to others, to seek innovative ways to meet the challenges we face—and we face many—and to enhance your understanding and appreciation of others who are different from you,” he said. “Whatever you do, I hope you develop a passion for something that gives you the spirit you need to feel human and to love others.”

See where the Class of 2015 is headed! Senior Destinations 2015