Boys lacrosse falls to Sherwood 12–9
Girls lacrosse suffers first loss of the season to Sherwood 16–11

MVA removes parallel parking from driving test

Photo from Wikimedia Foundation

The MVA announced on Tuesday that parallel parking will no longer be a requirement on the state driver’s license test.

The MVA claims that parallel parking is not a necessary evaluation of one’s driving capabilities, but still encourages new drivers to learn the skill.

“In analyzing the skills test, it was determined that the currently used 2-point reverse turn, when combined with the on-road portions of the test, adequately assessed the individual’s ability to operate the vehicle,” Buel Young, spokesperson for the MVA, told My MC Media.

In response to assertions that the MVA removed parallel parking to increase passage rates and decrease the waiting period to get a test appointment, Young said that was not the intention.

“I don’t know if it will shorten the amount of time,” he said to the Baltimore Sun. “We don’t have any data right now because we just instituted [the change].”

Students had mixed reactions to the new policy—including relief.

“Removing parallel parking made the test easier,” said sophomore Emma Cohen-Dumani, who took the test Wednesday, the day after the rule change. “It was a lot less stress because it was only one parking task instead of two.”

However, some feel that the change will be detrimental for drivers once they pass the test.

“I think it was a really poor decision to remove the parallel parking from the test,” senior Leah Greenstein said. “Parallel parking, especially in cities, is a necessary skill. Without the test motivating them to learn to parallel park, the next generation of drivers will have a lot of difficulty picking it up.”

Limited spots in D.C. and Bethesda makes parallel parking especially useful in this area, she said.

“It would be pretty inconvenient finding a spot if I didn’t know how to parallel park,” Greenstein said. “It’s already inconvenient, but even more so.”