Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Crew teams place highly in WMIRA regatta

This past Saturday, the crew team raced against some of the area’s top teams in the Washington Metropolitan Interscholastic Rowing Association’s annual championship on the Anacostia River.

Women’s varsity and second varsity, as well as the men’s varsity eight, all received silver medals for their races.

Despite racing well, both women’s boats lost to cross-town rival B-CC, who had also beat them two weeks earlier in the Maryland State Regatta.

“It was the best race we’ve had this season; we made a lot of improvements,” 2V rower Kate Conlan said. “We shaved off about 19 seconds since our previous race, so we closed the gap with B-CC substantially.”

Men’s varsity eight rows on the Anacostia River. Photo courtesy Kirk Shipley.

The men’s varsity eight also placed second, coming in after Gonzaga, but it marked a huge improvement from States: for the first time in eight years the Vikes triumphed over B-CC at WMIRA.

“Every year Gonzaga wins and B-CC is our other major competition,” girls coach Kirk Shipley said. “[The boys] always lose to B-CC, and they beat B-CC—which is good because they lost in Maryland states, and they were able to fix some of the things from then. They got their mojo back.”

The men hope to continue their success over B-CC when they travel to the Stotesbury Cup Regatta, one of the world’s most prestigious races, this Friday and Saturday. They will be joined by the women’s varsity and second varsity, along with a men’s and women’s novice boat.

The following weekend will be the SRAA Regatta, which the teams qualified for by placing at the WMIRA championship.

“It’s been a good season,” Shipley said, “and we’re hoping that we’re saving the best for last.”